Wednesday

You Were Wrong by Matthew Sharpe

ISBN:   9781608191871

Grade: C

Rock on GoodReads and Bloomsbury for my copy of You Were Wrong. 

This book took me forever to finish mainly because it confused the shit out of me.  I found myself re-reading page after page wondering WTF is going on.  This book has even infiltrated my dreams, making me feel very violated.  Seriously, reading this at night has lead to some rather warped dreams. 

Upon finishing this book, I've realized that Matthew Sharpe can definitely write and has a bizarre sense of humor.  He writes intelligently and the characters were wonderfully peculiar.  My interest has been piqued enough to read more from Sharpe, Stories from the Tube more specifically.  All this being said, this was not an easy book to read.  At no time in the book could I guess what was going to happen next which was good in the sense that I didn't have the book figured out by page 50.  The ending felt a bit hurried to me and I'm not quite sure how I feel about the way the book ended.  I can only guess that Sharpe's intentions with this book were to make it a head scratcher and one that leaves the reader a bit unsettled.

Would I recommend this book?  Yes...to a select audience.  If most of your reading material comes from bestseller lists, then this is probably not your type of book.  If you like Haruki Murakami, you'll probably like Matthew Sharpe.       

2 comments:

  1. You will love this book. It is delightfuly strange and will compel you to read it. Sharpe is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you're finally reading Sharpe! Hoorah!! Pick up a copy of Stories from the Tube. You probably have to get a used copy considering the book came out 10+ years ago and is an obscure title.

    I am officially nominating this for the next book club selection.

    ReplyDelete