Wednesday

Bad Kitty vs Uncle Murray by Nick Bruel

ISBN:  1596435968
ISBN-13:   9781596435964

Grade:  B+

Thanks Macmillan Children's Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book!   Normally I don't read books aimed at this young of an age group, but since I scored a free copy and it had a cat wearing boxing gloves on the cover I changed my mind.  

Nick Bruel must know my cat Vito as the first chapter could have been written by my Vito...if he had thumbs and could type.  The reason being the first chapter was a feline food fantasy, catnip grass, chicken livers, fish, and much more.  The illustrations are cute and had Vito been awake when he was on my lap while I read this, he probably would have drooled.  

Bad Kitty vs Uncle Murray would be a great book to read aloud to kids.  It's a story of a cat and dog who are being taken care of by a relative, Uncle Murray, while the owners have a baby.  What results are shenanigans (or catnanigans as I call them) that include cat ninjas armed with spatulas.   This is a peek into the feline psyche with the expected disses of the canine species.  It's also educational to a point with some feline facts about behavior.  My favorite part was the story that Uncle Murray told about a stray dog he found as a kid that his mom wouldn't let him keep due to his sister's allergies.  Had me in tears and Mark looking at me funny for crying during a kids book.  

What I didn't realize is that the Bad Kitty books were a series, but now I will be on the lookout at the library for the others as I can never have enough stories about crazy cat antics.  

Side note to Kayden, I hope you love the book and being read to by Gramma.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment