Monday

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

ISBN: 0316143464
ISBN-13: 9780316143462

Grade: B+

After finishing The Graveyard Book, I am well aware that the bar has been set quite high for books that I consider fabulous.  David Sedaris' other books Me Talk Pretty One Day and Holidays On Icewere hysterical.  This one...not so much so far.  While the essays are funny, they are not gut busting funny like I expected.  Now I'm only halfway through the book, but have been told by my chef that it does get better and that The Rooster gets married.  That essay alone should be worth the not so awesome previous essays.

I guess not every book can be a Gaiman.

***Update***
Since finishing this latest Sedaris collection, I should probably rescind my prior trepidation. The second half of the book was good, not 5 stars good but a solid 4 star effort.  I should probably add a star for the classic quote 'this shit is like making love in a canoe...it's fucking near water' but I won't since it looks like I'm a little generous with my ratings.

Some of my favorite essays:

'Let it Snow' about the Sedaris kids getting locked out of the house by mom on a snow day.  Sedaris writes so well you can actually picture the entire essay happening.  Had me chuckling and feeling quite thankful that my mom never went that far.

'Slumus Lordicus' about Sedaris' parents becomming landlords and the skeeve characters that come to be their tennants.  This one had me laughing quite loudly.

'The Girl Next Door' about the white trash family that Sedaris moves next door to during his slumming phase.  A seriously messed up essay that made me thankful beyond words that I am past the renting apartments stage, and don't have neighbors on the other side of a wall.  Although the lunatic meth head next door to me can disappear from the face of the Earth anytime now.  Dear Santa, please make the Gribble next door spontaneously combust.  Love, Shelley.

'Repeat After Me' about his visit to his sister Lisa's home.  An essay both humorous and rather touching.

'Rooster at the Hitchin Post' is quite possibly the book's standout essay.  I had tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks while reading.  This is also the essay from which the fucking near water quote originates.  This was pee your pants funny.

'Put a Lid on it' about visiting another sister Tiffany.  Needless to say I want a rickshaw that I can tow behind a bike...so very badly.  If it's wrong to want a rickshaw then I don't want to be right.

'Baby Einstein' about the Rooster and Mrs Rooster becomming parents.  Another one that had me snorting with laughter with tears running down my cheeks.

While not the best way to review a book, it works for me.  Everyone has different favorites and different senses of humor.  Definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment