Monday

The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace




ISBN: 067002189X
ISBN-13: 9780670021895

Grade: A+

If ever there was a book that could be a painting, this is it.  The prose is just gorgeous and takes the reader on a trip to Italy.  The storyline is quite touching...a man inventing the typewriter for his blind lover.  Come on, who wouldn't want someone to do something like that for them? 

The Blind Contessa's New Machine is one of the first books I'd pack in a box to take with me to a deserted island.  It's also one that will be given as Christmas gifts to those members of my family who do read.  And since this back injury from hell is preventing me from going to Italy anytime in the near future, I have to settle for a trip vicariously through a book.

What shocked me the most is that this is a debut novel.  If this is a first book, I have high hopes for any other works that Carey Wallace wants to write.  Also, this is loosely based on a real life Italian man named Pellegrino Turri who invented the first typewriter for his blind muse.  Turri in the book reminded me of Roberto Benigni's character in the Life Is Beautiful movie, full of witty charm and sweetness.  There's also a little bit of mystery in the plot.  Now go read it!  I promise you will like it, if not there must be something wrong with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment