Monday

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

ISBN: 0374371520
ISBN-13: 9780374371524

Grade: A+

So I devoured this book in two days.  Had I not had this little thing called a job get in the way, it would have been finished on one day probably in one sitting.

Speak is a book about a 9th grade girl who calls the cops on a party after she gets raped by a popular senior at school.  The book follows Melinda Sordino during her freshman year and is filled with the teen angst you expect.  Melinda is shunned by her former friends and no one in the school except for the new girl Heather will talk to her.  This has been on my to read list for a long time and I was curious what all the hype was about.  It was a Printz Honor book afterall along with numerous other awards.

This isn't a predictable book unless you've seen the movie, more on that later.  It's an unsettling book mainly because Laurie Halse Anderson writes so well of teen angst and makes Melinda a very believable character, not to mention the subject matter.  I felt what Melinda felt and I have not been the victim of rape.  I totally felt and understood Melinda's depression and feeling lost in the world.

Now onto the made for tv movie.  I had seen bits and pieces of it prior to reading the book, but even if I hadn't seen parts of the movie I still would have thought that Kristen Stewart was the perfect actress to play Melinda.  She's got enough sourpuss and angst in her.  It should be interesting to see the movie in its entirety after reading the book.

This is another must read book.  I don't care how far removed from high school you are or what gender you are...read Speak.  It's a fabulous and graceful story about the journey of a rape victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment