Monday

Wasteland by Francesca Lia Block

ISBN: 0064408396
ISBN-13: 9780064408394

Grade: A

No, this is not the Wasteland you are thinking of.  It has nothing to do with T.S. Eliot.

Francesca Lia Block how I love thee!

Her books are gorgeous YA books that are written so much better than lots of adult books (pointing finger at Jodi Picoult and Nicholas Sparks) that people (lemmings) seem to love and gush over.  Wasteland was my second FLB book and I am officially hooked on her books.  A pox on you WordPress for garbling my Weetzie Bat post so badly I couldn't save any of it.  

Not many authors can deal with a taboo subject such as incest with the grace that FLB does. Mix in a suicide and a family's secret (Lex was adopted) and you have a truly special author to write about both subject almost poetically.  FLB was recommended to me by one of my lovely librarian friends, who are the only people from which I will trust book recommendations. 

The prose here is so pretty, and the book is really short.  Easily finished in one sitting.  What is unconventional about this book is that the narrator is never quite mentioned.  Only after finishing the book do you understand the story.  FLB is definitely a fruit off of the strange-fruit tree, but she's got some great company.  

No comments:

Post a Comment