Monday

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

ISBN: 0451217608
ISBN-13: 9780451217608

Grade: A

Anyone easily offended should not read this book.  The full title is quite lengthy and gives you a big hint about the feel of the book.  

Jen Lancaster is my hero!  There were so many parts of this book that had me snorting with laughter.  The similarities between us were uncanny at times.  I too am missing the verbal firewall (just ask anyone who has ridden in the car with me, or my husband) and have to say that I do relish this lack.  I have seriously restrained myself here on this blog to stop being a potty mouth, which can be quite the challenge.  There have been so many times when people have looked at me in horror after a not-so-pc comment was made.  Yes I said that and no I don't care if it hurt your feelings or offended you.  I consider myself an equal opportunity offender.  Polished I am not.  Maybe in time or a trip to charm school might change that.

Jen's nicknames for her coworkers...hilarious (Retardy Arty, the Chadifornicator).  Normally I would never laugh at any joke containing a mentally retarded mention, as I think it's gross, but this was an exception.  Her favorite subject is herself...love it. The fact that she's a fat girl with a loud mouth and a pit bull owner, another plus.  The line 'Angry: it's what's for dinner' had me almost peeing my pants with laughter.  Bitter is the New Black is no literary marvel, it's just a hysterical view into the life of someone who is a bit self centered and who only slightly learns her lesson. It would be a total shame if Jen Lancaster found the verbal firewall.

No comments:

Post a Comment