Monday

Spray by Harry Edge


ISBN:   9780312613440

Grade:   D+

While I am so not the target audience for the YA genre, that doesn't stop me from enjoying a well written YA read.  Spray is not one of those books.  While it's not a bad read per se, it just didn't tickle me.  Had I read this as an 11 or 12 year old, I probably would have eaten this up.  As an adult who played Assasins in high school, this just read like a game manual.  Spray is a book about a group of kids who play the Assasins game with squirt guns.  And that's the extent of the plot.  My previous experience with the game was not nearly as structured and anal retentive as the game portrayed here is, largely do to the fact it was organized by lazy angst ridden high school freshmen.  This book gives the ins and outs of playing the game with minimal character development.  The character development is replaced with action and would be perfect for 11+ kids, especially boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment