Saturday

The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson


ISBN:   9780312659264

Grade:   C+

The Miles Between has been on my to read list for quite some time ever since my librarian friend Lissa recommended Mary Pearson's first novel The Adoration of Jenna Fox.  This book is a quick read and though it is a YA book, the language isn't too juvenile.  The story is about a girl named Destiny who has bounced from boarding school to boarding school one after another after being estranged from her family.  One day at school Destiny finds a car with keys in the ignition and recruits three of her friends to go on a little road trip with her.  Destiny just wants one day to be fair, one day where the good guys win since she has not had the best of luck in the past.  The four friends take off for a town called Langdon, Destiny's hometown with its fair share of magic and mystery.  On the way there the foursome play a game of revealing secrets which leads up to a mighty big one from Destiny at the end of their day. 

The reason I didn't give this book a higher grade is that the beginning was a little to slow and didn't really draw me into the plot.  I stuck with the book because it was a YA title and because of the glowing recommendation from my Lissa.  Thankfully about two-thirds into the book things started getting really good and the ending was fantastic, so that upped the rating.  What I really liked was that Pearson hinted at what was to come and had I been paying closer attention would have picked up on the subtle clues.  If you're a fan of good YA novels, I would recommend The Miles Between.  

  

2 comments:

  1. Yay you finally read this!!! Now you must read more from Mary Pearson. I've been a fan of hers since reading The Scribbler of Dreams years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll drop off my copy of Jenna Fox for you next week. I'll even buy you a copy of it and the latest Oates if you promise to never read another Picoult book!

    ReplyDelete