Saturday

Ragdolls Are The Best! by Elaine Landau

ISBN:   9780761364283

Grade:   C+ / B-

Cover image will be posted when it has been finalied.  Publishing date set for February 1st.


Ragdolls Are The Best! is a cute kids book about Ragdoll cats, quite possibly the cutest cat breed out there.  Granted my opinion is biased as my first cat was a Ragdoll and the best cat ever as well as the most handsome guy ever.  Basic info about the breed including the history is included but could have included more.  Life span and known genetic health issues were not covered.  Maybe my Ragdoll came from a bad litter, but I only got 8 years with my cat due to genetic heart issues and his brother only made it to 7 years due to kidney problems.  Rescue information was included, much to my surprise as many books like this are obviously pro breeder.  The best part was all the pictures of the adorable balls of fur.  Ragdoll owners past and present can attest to this breed's personality as loving lap cats with beautiful blue eyes and some quirky antics.  What could have been added to the list of must have supplies for bringing your Ragdoll home were toys.  How could cat toys have been omitted?!

My experience with Ragdolls started when I visited my aunt who was the proud mommy of 2 Ragdoll boys who were the most friendly cats I had ever met.  I fell in love and shortly after got my very own 6 month old Ragdoll kitten.  He was quite wacky as a little guy, he'd hide behind things like the tv and couch and pounce on our ankles as we walked past him.  He also loved to fetch balls of paper and aluminum foil.  After his kitten stage he grew into a very affectionate lap cat who loved getting under your blanket and keeping you warm.  I remember my guy coming to bed with me and kneading my neck until he fell asleep.  The best quirk about my Ragdoll was that he loved to sit under lampshades and "recharge" himself under the hot lightbulb.  I'll have to dig up a picture of him doing that and post it, it's too cute for words.

Overall, as a kids book this is a decent one for teaching little ones about Ragdoll cats.  There could have been more info included without going over kids' heads.  The pictures make up for that though and if you haven't heard of Ragdolls, look them up to see the cuteness for yourself.

You can buy the book here.  There are also other books starring different breeds of cats if Ragdolls are not your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment