Thursday

The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens

ISBN:   

Grade:  B-

The Emerald Atlas is a fun YA fantasy book, the first in a trilogy written by a guy with ties to the Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls tv shows.  Don't judge the book based on those tv shows as they have no commonalities.

The Emerald Atlas is the story of 3 orphans Kate, Michael and Emma who are bounced from one orphanage to another after their parents mysteriously left when they were little.  The 3 siblings are passed over time and time again because not many people want to adopt 3 kids at once and the youngest Emma is a bit difficult.  The last orphanage they are sent to is run by a wizard named Dr Pym and they are the only 3 children there.  The orphanage is in a dark dreary town called Cambridge Falls that was once flourishing with life and children.  Kate, Michael and Emma quickly discover that all is not as it seems at the orphanage, quickly discovering hidden passageways and a mysterious study where they find a most interesting book.  The kids stumble upon a book with blank pages that allows them to travel back and forth through time when a picture is placed in the pages.  They learn that an evil countess is holding the children of Cambridge Falls hostage while forcing their parents to dig for the book the kids discovered.  The kids are the chosen ones that have the power to right the wrongs of the evil countess and return the town to its previous flourish.  What follows is a fun story with all kinds of interesting characters including dwarfs and dementor-like beings that will have you laughing quite frequently.

Overall, I liked the book.  It wasn't like Harry Potter where I was instantly hooked, but still a worthy read.  Part of Harry Potter's charm was that it was told in a British voice, so I can't fault John Stephens for that.  My main dislikes were the sibling banter which at times grated on my last nerve and made me thank my lucky stars that I don't have a teenager at home to deal with.  That and at times I think the plot could have been tighter, pages here and there omitted.  Still worth checking out, and I will read books 2 and 3 in the series. 

1 comment:

  1. The writing and descriptions were so vivid... I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about different worlds and getting pulled into them!! I am looking forward to the rest of the series. While you are waiting for the next book, I would highly recommend the Secrets of the Immortal Nichlas Flamel Series by Michael Scott!! Another fantastic read!!!

    ReplyDelete