Thursday

Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins

Grade:   B
Recommended for fans of chick-lit romance and those needing a good beach read.


If you pay attention to and follow the RITA Awards, no doubt you know about Kristan Higgins.  If not, you're missing out on a ton of fun light reads. 

Until There Was You is a cute story about a woman named Posey and the bad boy she lusts after Liam.  Normally, Kristan Higgins writes from one POV, but this time we are treated to Liam's as well.  He's a bad boy who's not really all that bad.  He's actually quite the sweetums.  The bad boy part comes from his love for motorcycles and that he builds custom bikes.  Posey, our heroine, is a bit of a tomboy.  She owns her own business, an architectural salvage company so she's usually in work clothes.  Her family also owns a German restaurant.  She also had her heart squashed and trampled on by Liam while they were in high school.  Liam comes back to town and stirs up all these warm melty feeling in Posey, and you probably know how the rest plays out.

Part of why I like Kristan Higgins so much is she writes light fun chick lit romances without slapping some tanned up beefcake on the cover.  Maybe someday I'll get up the nerve to read one of those books, but very likely in my Kindle Fire so no one can see the beefcake cover.  So long as I don't run out of Kristan Higgins stories, the beefcake covers have to wait.  Sometimes when there's just too much crap going on in life, books like this are fantastic escapism.  Curling up on the couch in a pair of pajammy jams (pajamas for those who don't speak my borderline LOLcats language) with a Kristan Higgins book is just the ticket.  Or perhaps taking her in the bathtub for a good soak if you don't mind laying in your own soup.  Whichever you prefer, she's like a pint of Ben and Jerry's...pure comfort food.  Some of  the stuff I read is pretty heavy.  Let's not forget the fact that if I read Joyce Carol Oates one after another, lots of antidepressants would be involved.  I like to vary the books I read so that I don't get bored and to please my inner child who has a bit of ADD.  There's also the part about it being summer and the weather lately has been hot.  Hot like a freaking toaster hot.  My poor lil brain cells either needed a fun fluff read or for my chubby butt to sit in one of the ice cream freezers at the grocery store.  I chose the first for obvious reasons.

If you're in the mood for some light romance-ish reading, check out Kristan Higgins.  You might just realize that you really like her and discover a new genre of fiction to enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment