Thursday

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Grade: D+
Still not recommended.

I don't know that it's really any better than the first book, but at least I didn't throw an epic tantrum a la The Hunger Games.  The writing is still the same (really bad) and Katniss is still a total Mary Sue.  Oh and I was spot on right about how this book would play out.  Seriously spot on.

The formula is the same.  The character names are just as silly...Gloss, Cashmere, Wiress, Enobaria just to name a few.  There are more characters who apparently are not worthy of being named (even though they were previous Games winners), this time referred to as the Morphlings.  The writing is the same (lousy) and the plot "twists" completely predictable.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Katniss and Peeta find themselves thrown into another Hunger Games, except it's not called the Huger Games.  Every 25 years there is something called the Quarter Quell where previous Hunger Games winners are chosen to compete against each other.  Same game, different name. 
 
The Capitol creates an arena that turns out to be a clock.  There are different things that happen during each hour like poisonous fog and blood rain.  There is also lightening, tidal waves and monkey mutts.  That's right, in this book we have monkey mutts.

Likable characters are killed off or assumed dead because apparently they did not deserve definitive closure. 

Since there is a third book, it's no secret that Katniss, Peeta and Gale survive.  How else could the love triangle continue.  Of course Katniss survives, since she is the mockingjay and oh such a rebel.  Districts are rebelling one by one because they *finally* realize what jerks the Capitol hot shots are.

Excuse me while I wipe the sarcasm off my chin.

This time I learned my lesson.  I did not buy this book.  Instead this was checked out from the library.  Will I read Mockingjay...eventually.  That will also come courtesy of the library since I have no intentions of feeding Suzanne Collins' bank account.  Also to prove that I did figure out the series ending early in the first book.

Again, flame away you Hunger Games fanatics.     

No comments:

Post a Comment