Wednesday

The Upright Piano Player by David Abbott

ISBN:   9780385534420
Grade:   C-
Release date:   June 7, 2011 (already available in England)

The Upright Piano Player is the first novel from David Abbott which makes it's US debut early this summer.  The book opens with a gruesome day in the life of Henry Cage and then we get to read in reverse about his life prior.  He is retiring from a white collar executive job, finds out his ex-wife is terminally ill with cancer and his relationship with his son barely exists.  While he is out for a New Years holiday, he becomes the victim of a violent attack.  His attacker then turns into his stalker while we get to read about a whole slew of side characters.  The side characters at times were confusing as they seemed to be inserted randomly into the story and had me flipping back to remember what was happening.
 

What a strange little book this was.  The beginning chapter was excellent, the middle was a challenge to care about and the ending was just meh.  I think there could have been quiet a few passages omitted as they didn't add anything to the story and I kept wondering why they were included.  Not to mention a rather disgusting event involving a dog and a masonry nail that almost had me pulling the bookmark in disgust.  That scene was even more gruesome than the beginning and very nearly turned my stomach which is saying a lot since I've read tons of Joyce Carol Oates and she doesn't write happy stories about kittens, rainbows and fields of poppies.  David Abbott can write rather well and his descriptions are excellent.  Some of my favorite parts were the mentions of various landscaping.  There's something about living vicariously through someone else's garden that just warms my soul.  The storyline on the other hand just didn’t tickle me, or maybe I should say didn't grab me.  I felt no attachment to any of the characters which is likely the author's intention, but still there should be something to keep my interest besides just wondering how in the world and when is David Abbott going to wrap up this story.   

The cover is without a doubt near perfection.  It reminds me of a Rockefeller work of art, this time reinterpreted by a watercolor artist.  Hopefully this is the final cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment