Wednesday

Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt





ISBN:   9781400069408
Grade:  F

Mr. Chartwell is the debut novel from Rebecca Hunt with a creative concept that unfortunately fell flat for me.  Ester Hammerhans is a recently widowed librarian looking to rent out a room in her house who is connected to Winston Churchill on the eve of his retirement through a large black dog.  This walking talking dog named Mr Chartwell is also known as Black Pat, symbolizes depression and has come to rent the room from Ester for a large sum of cash.  Creative idea for a book isn't it?

There's not much for me to say about the plot of Mr Chartwell as not much of the book stuck with me.  The cover gave me high hopes as did the publisher's description, but the meat in between the covers bored me to be quite honest.  The idea for the book was so fascinating and I'm a sucker for any book with a dog as a main character.  This one I had to force myself to finish as only the character of Mr. Chartwell only mildly had my interest.  Ester was so 2 dimensional and flat to me that I never cared much about her.  The writing was drab and not my taste.

Anyone who is interested in reading this for themselves is more than welcome to my copy.  My copy is an ARC edition provided to me by the publisher.  Email me at shelleythebooksnob at gmail.com with your info and I'll send you my copy.  Hopefully someone else enjoys this more than I did.    

No comments:

Post a Comment